Saturday, January 17, 2009

Free Printable Writing Workbooks

I received this link today in an email and had to check it out. I had heard of the National Novel Writing Month this fall but I am not a writer so I didn't really look into that much. When I got the link for these workbooks though I was exited. Just what S. would love I knew. She is a aspiring writer and I knew she would love the writing exercises included in the link. She sat down at the computer with me and we scrolled through the pages. She was hooked. I told her I would print it off for her later and she said, "Mom why can't you do it now so I can start doing it now." Who can argue with that. So I printed, all 112 pgs of the elementary book(2-sided copies). S. kept coming over to see when it would be done, haha.

So what is it, you ask? It is a way for kids to write a novel. They build their characters by answering questions about them, develop the setting, the plot, learn how to create interesting dialogue and be descriptive in their writing. There are some descriptive writing opportunities toward the back. It seems great whether or not your child really plans to write a novel or not. I told S. she could write her own book, we talked about examples of how books that she has already read met the criteria that was talked about in the workbook. She can't wait to write her own novel now and I am just glad she has found something she is excited about.

So don't wait any longer, check out the link. ;)

http://ywp.nanowrimo.org/workbooks