Thursday, May 21, 2009

Amazing and Delicious dinner courtesy of Hillbilly Housewife.

Tonight's dinner was fabulous, so I had to be sure to share. I was checking out the Hillbilly Housewife site the other day and found that she actually has a "healthy" site too, Healthy Hillbilly Housewife. I had no idea this site existed, so I am sorry if you already knew. If you did, why didn't you tell me. lol
So, I had to give some of her recipes a try, after all I am attempting to lose some extra weight and always in search of low cost healthy recipes. This one will go in my list of favorites, but probably won't get cooked much if the girls don't show more interest (unfortunate for me, because I am truly excited about this recipe, can you tell).

So here it is. No longer a hidden secret.

Brazilian Coconut Chicken, Brown Rice
Yogurt, Sliced Cucumbers and Tomato Wedges
Iced Lemon Zinger Tea
336 Calories

6 servings

1teaspoon EACH salt, ground cumin, red pepper, tumeric and coriander
(I used 1 tsp curry powder for the tumeric and coriander)
1/2 teaspoon EACH ground ginger and garlic powder
1lb boneless, skinless, chicken breast, cut into strips
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 c thin sliced onions
1 EACH red, yellow and green pepper, thinly sliced (I only used a yellow, it was all I had)
14 oz can of light coconut milk
3 tablespoosn minced jalapeno peppers (I didn't use these) or others as desired
2 teaspoon honey
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro or parsley

(Be sure to start brown rice early as it take approximately 45 min to cook).

1. Place seasoning in large ziploc bag or other large sealable container. Mix to combine. Add sliced chicken pieces and toss to coat. Heat oil in large skillet, add onions and allow to cook briefly. Add chicken and sauté until no longer pink, approximately 5-10 minutes. Add the sliced pepper strips and fry briefly. Add the coconut milk. Stir. Add the minced peppers and honey. Simmer gently for about 5 min to blend flavors. Add cilantro or parsley and serve over rice.

To serve according to nutritional suggestions, serve 1/3 c brown rice with 1/6 of the chicken mixture. Scoop 1/3 c plain yogurt on to plate and arrange with 1 c sliced cucumbers and 1 medium sliced tomato.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!!

I think that I ran across this before, but I am sooooo glad you posted this!!