Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Granola Bars

I make this recipe all the time, the girls love it. I usually add 1 c corn flakes or rice crispies in place of 1 cup of the oatmeal. I have subbed raisins and dried cranberries for the chocolate, but mini chocolate chips are definitely everyones favorite.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

  • 4 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips, or raisins, nuts, dried cranberries etc
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan.
  2. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter or margarine, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the 2 cups assorted chocolate chips, raisins, nuts etc.
  3. Firmly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.
**Some of the other tips suggested subbing some rice krispies (about 1 cup) for part of oats, I didn't read that until I had already made it. I think I would have liked it that way. I did add some wheat germ probably 1/4 c.

Another tip from allrecipes was to push everything down again lightly after taking it from the oven, I did this and everything seems to be holding together well
. Do this, it really helps!

No comments: