Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Veggie Chicken Enchiladas

So I have a bunch of zucchini coming in from my mom's great garden. I was searching for a recipe to try that I could kind of hide it in for my kids. they aren't big on trying new stuff, but usually love it once they do. Like this recipe. They love enchiladas and burritos so I thought they would be willing to give this a go and they loved it. This recipe came from a www.eat5aday.com cookbook I picked up sometime when I lived in CA.

1 large onion, chopped
1 med bell pepper chopped ( I used an orange one)
1 large zucchini, chopped (I julienne cut mine)
1 cup chopped cooked chicken breast
1 1/2 c red enchilada sauce
1 8 oz can of no salt tomato sauce
8 corn tortillas
2/3 c shredded lowfat Monterey jack cheese

Preheat oven to 375.
Spray nonstick skillet w/ cooking spray. Add onion and cook 5 min over Med heat. Add pepper and zucchini and cook 5 more min. Stir in chicken, set aside. in a small bowl combine enchilada sauce and tomato sauce. Soften tortillas in the microwave or on a warm skillet. Dip tortillas in sauce then place 2 tablespoons of mixture on one side. Roll up and place in 9x13 baking pan. Repeat w/ all tortillas. Pour remaining sauce over rolls. cover loosely w/ foil and back 20-25 min. remove cover and sprinkle w/ cheese, bake 5 more min to melt cheese.

Nutritional info Cal 305, Carb 43, Protein 21g, Total Fat 7 g, Dietary fiber 7 g.

A couple changes I made where. 1) I didn't have red enchilada sauce so I used green and cut out the tomato sauce too. 2) I used flour tortillas because that is what we buy, not a fan of corn ones.

Let me know if you try it and like it. I am sure this could easily be sans meat all together just cook more veggies. Great stuff.

No comments: