Monday, October 4, 2010

(Re)Commit 2 Fit Monday

It must be going around, lots of people losing their motivation for working out and staying fit. Thankfully we have each other to help remind us that it is ok but we need to get back to work and refocus. And that is what I am trying to do. I have had a few not so great weeks but now I am ready to get back at it. I am getting my eating back on track and making more effort to get some movement in my days. It is hard since I care of children other than my own in my house, but if I try hard I can find the time to do it. I just need to make myself.

I am in good company. Jared (from Subway) and are recommitting to their fitness goals too. Jared and Subway have started a new Commit to Fit Campaign to help others get on track with their fitness goals. Keep watching Lisa and Rachel_L blogs for great giveaways as part of the Commit to Fit campaign. And watch for the #commit2fit hashtag on twitter.

So this week my goals are:

1. Drink 60-70 oz of water a day.

2. Find healthy and fresh snacks when I get the munchies.

3. Try to get to the gym 3 days this week. And on the other days try to spend time on my treadmill or w/ a workout video.

Are you ready to commit to fit?? I hope so. :)

Congrats to Momma_oz for being Sista of the week. And good luck to all the moms applying to be the next 2 Mv Mom's. You all deserve it and I can't wait to follow your progress in the up coming weeks.

For those feeling the cool weather coming on here is a Great Vegetarian Chili I HIGHLY recommend. I made this the other day and it is yummy. Be warned it is pretty spicy so cut back on the chili powder and omit the cayenne if you don't like it too spicy.

Emeril's Vegetarian Chili

Ingredients

* 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
* 1 cup chopped red bell peppers
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 to 3 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced, depending upon taste
* 1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
* 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
* 1 1/2 pounds portobello mushrooms (about 5 large), stemmed, wiped clean and cubed
* 2 tablespoons chili powder
* 1 tablespooon ground cumin
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
* 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
* 3 cups cooked black beans, or canned beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
* 1 cup vegetable stock, or water
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
* Cooked brown rice, accompaniment
* Sour cream or strained plain yogurt, garnish
* Diced avocado, garnish
* Essence, recipe follows, garnish
* Chopped green onions, garnish

Directions

In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.

Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.

To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the chili into the bowls over the rice. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and spoonful of avocado. Sprinkle with Essence and green onions and serve.

14 comments:

Lisa Johnston said...

We're so going to have to do this together girl. I'm so falling behind on the water thing.

It's not that I'm losing my motivation to workout or eat right, I've totally lost my hydramojo!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya babe!

<3
Lisa
www.50in8.com

Anonymous said...

My motivation totally comes and goes too!
Good luck this week!

Rebecca B. said...

My husband loves chili... maybe I'll have to sneak this one in on him and see if he notices it's vegetarian!

Good luck this week!

Pamela M. Kramer - A Renaissance Woman said...

Whoo Hoo! Super proud of you! Way to recommit to yourself. Good luck this week.

Angela @ Nine More Months said...

It is definitely nice to have each other when we start losing track of our goals. Your goals look great by the way. For healthy snacks, I suggest getting some hummus and your favorite dipping veggies! A serving of hummus (2 big tablespoons) has about 75 calories and lots of protein. That's my snack of choice! Good luck this week, I hope you stay on track. :)

gretablau said...

I totally want to make veggie chili! Thanks for posting! I already cut and pasted onto a "stickie" on my desktop!

I haven't lost motivation to work out, but I def need work on the eating and nutrition. Back on WW today and paying a lot of attn to Pete Cohen's nutrition site!

Stephen and Amanda O'Dair blog said...

way to recommit I know you can do it adn yes drink taht water! *hugs girl*

~Lori~ said...

That chili sounds yummy but my family would never go for it. I pushed the envelope last night with butternut squash soup and I was the only one who liked it :(

We are all working to get back on track...this time of year is just so hard! I know we can do it though because we have each other to help make it happen!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... I'm gonna have to try to sneak that chili into my house... I have no clue if the fam would like it. Luckily, Kids aren't picky about what they eat, but DH is the biggest kid of all so that's the struggle. Now that the weather is cooling off, I'm going to have to try it - might work really good in the crockpot?!?! Thoughts?

Steph-Fit Mom in Training said...

I love chili. It's so good and such a great fall recipe!

I think a lot of us are recommitting. Something about the fall I think. The busyness of summer is gone (along with a few too many BBQ's and beers) and we're in a rut. Good thing we're all in this together!

...hmmm...now I want chili...

Marie said...

It's Fall and I love chili when the weather starts to turn colder! Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat with motivation and re-comit to fit. Good luck this week!

Rachel said...

Looks like I need to be both on you and Ljenator about the water!

That chili looks sooooooo good; I'll be glad when it's really cool enough here in Houston to make some. Totally bookmarking this recipe.

Unknown said...

Yay for re-commitment!!! You've got a great plan for the week - I hope you've been able to stick with it. I keep a container of cut-up veggies in the fridge so they're ready when I need a snack. I cut up extras when I'm prepping dinner so I don't have to do extra work when I'm hungry. Makes an easy, quick and healthy snack!

kia said...

Julie, that chili looks awesome! I will have to make that one day. Congrats on your recommit2fit. I hadn't really noticed people easing off motivation until you said something. You are totally right. Nice to see you doing something about it.