Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cream Soup Base Mix

I made this a while back and it has been such a great thing to keep stocked in the pantry. What an easy and inexpensive alternative to cream soups. I also want to add that I have never found the dried vegetable flakes so I just don't use them, I am sure they would add more flavor, but this is great w/o it.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Homemad...ix/Detail.aspx


INGREDIENTS
  • 2 cups instant nonfat dry milk powder
  • 10 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup mashed potato flakes
  • 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
  • 2 tablespoons dried vegetable flakes
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper

Directions
  1. In a food processor or blender, combine all the ingredients; cover and process until vegetable flakes are finely chopped. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
Editor's Note: Use as a substitute for half a 10-3/4-ounce can of condensed cream of chicken, mushroom or celery soup. For half of a can of soup, in a microwave-safe dish, whisk together 2/3 cup water and 3 tablespoons soup mix. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 2 to 2-1/2 minutes, whisking occasionally. For mushroom soup, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sauteed sliced mushrooms. For celery soup, add 1/8 teaspoon celery salt or one sauteed sliced or chopped celery rib.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Thanks for the recipe! I never seem to have the right cream soup for my recipes and I can't exactly run to town every time. This will come in handy.

jamnsfld76 said...

Your Welcome, I really love this recipe. I have found that if you want it really thick though you have to add less water or more powder.