Monday, May 10, 2010

Some new recipes

I love to cook new things. and since I am working on trimming my waistline I have been especially interested in healthier options. Here are a couple of hits from the past week.

Crock Pot Southwestern Chicken

1 (15-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained

1 (11-ounce) can Mexicorn, drained

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (16-ounce) jar chunky salsa (divided use)

6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, rinsed and dried

Flour tortillas

Shredded cheddar cheese

Combine the cans of corn, beans and half the salsa in slow-cooker. Top with the chicken. Pour remaining sauce over.

Cover and cook first hour on High, then either 3 more hours on High or 6 on Low until meat juices run clear. Serve with warm tortillas; top with cheese.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
For those of you who don't know me, I can't just follow the recipe as it is. Sooo... I cooked up my own dried black beans to add instead of using canned and instead of canned corn and mexi-corn I used frozen w/ some added bell peppers and onions. And because it was what I had I used bean and corn salsa.

This was very good, kind of reminds me of the inside of a southwestern eggroll. The first night I served it with cornbread instead of tortillas, then I shredded up the leftover chicken to make burritos later in the week. It was a hit with mom and kids alike.

Another new favorite I have been making for me (my kids won't touch shrimp) is from the Biggest Loser cookbook. I love this for a light quick lunch.

Old Bay Shrimp Lettuce Wraps (or sometimes I just put them on top of a bowl of lettuce for a salad)
for one serving I use

1 1/2 teaspoon low-fat mayo
1 1/2 teaspoon fat-free plain yogurt (or ff sour cream, or even garlic hummus when I was out of both of those)
1/2 teaspoon or so fresh lime or lemon juice
1/8-1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay low sodium Seasoning
4 oz of peeled and devined cooked shrimp (all I could find where the ones w/ tail on, so I just have to remove the tails first)(thaw by rinsing in cool water for a couple min)
3-4 pieces of leaf lettuce (bibb lettuce is recommended I use romaine)

Prepare shrimp by rinsing in cool water until thawed (if frozen)and remove any shell or tail parts.

Combine the mayo, yogurt, juice and seasoning in a bowl. Then toss the shrimp in the sauce. Divide between the lettuce leaves to make a lettuce wrap. Or make a large salad of lettuce (no dressing) and top with shrimp let the mayo sauce be the lettuce dressing.

Very filling. I tried it once on a tortilla and it was too much food for me, much better just on lettuce.

One serving is 182 cal, 14 g protein, 3 g carb, 1 g fat.

No comments: